Bag made out of Old Book
Things you will need for making the bag
For making the upcycled book bag you need just some simple sewing skills and the following materials:
- a book with attractive hard cover
- some fabric that matches the colours of the book
- markers that matches the colours of the book
- a utility knife
- a sewing machine or needle and thread
- handles or shoulder strap
- fabric glue
How to make the upcycled book bag
- First cut off the pages from the book with the utility knife. Don’t throw them away! You can try this great upcycling idea on creating a chandelier from the pages.
- Use the markers to colour the book where it is worn out.
- Stand the book open and verticaly on a piece of paper and mark its outline. Then cut the triangle from the paper with 0.5 inches (1.2 cm) on each side. Fold the triangle in half and cut down the middle for two equal pieces. Use the two patterns to cut off 2 by 2 equal pieces of the fabric with o.5 inches (1.2 cm) again but this time only at the height side of the triangles.
- Sew the pieces together 2 by 2 from the height sides. You will get a larger triangle from each two pieces. Lay the larger triangles on the fabric and cut the a pieces to match. Pin the equal pieces together and sew along all their sides. Leave an open space at the bottom to invert.
- From the fabric make 4 straps that will hold the handles or the soulder strap.
- Lay the cover of the book on the fabric and cut with 0.5 inches (1.2 cm) from each side. This will go inside of the bag or the purse.
- Use the fabric glue to attach the straps with the handles to the cover. Then glue one side of each triangle to each end of the book. After that you can glue the fabric for the inside of the bag.
Wait a while until the glue dries and you have yourself a pretty nice upcycled purse or bag.
RECOMMENDATIONS: You can add some button in the front of the bag and also you can cover it with some protective coat so it can stay in good condition.
For visual instructions check out the video below on creating a cool upcycled purse.