How to make an Upcycled Pallet Garden
You probably have a few old wooden pallets waiting over the garage to be reused. Pallets are usually made from wood that couldn’t be used for anything better. This leaves you with not so many choices of what to do with old pallets.
The statistics shows that the number of the trees cut down every year is between 3 and 6 billion. So you better find new uses for at least these old wooden pallets.
Here is one pretty fine upcycling idea – a beautiful garden built with pallets.
What you need to make the UPcycled pallet garden
- some old wooden pallets
- a drill
- some nails
- a hammer
- landscape fabric
- a staple gun
- flowers or some other plants
How to build your own pallet garden
The pallet you’re going to use is probably split or broken here and there, so your first task it to fix it.
- Drill holes in the pallet where it’s broken and pin the nails with the hammer. Strenghten the hole pallet with nails so it will hold the soil and the plants.
- Cover the wooden pallet with the fabric from the back, the sides and the bottom. Staple all the sides of the pallet and every place where the fabric meets the wood and cut the excess part away. It’s better to double the fabric because it will hold a lot of weight.
- Leave the face of the pallet open for plants if it is going to stand horizontal or leave the top open as well if it will stand vertical.
- Fill the upcycled pallet with soil through each slot.
- It’s time to plant your flowers in the pallet garden.
WARNING: Use some gloves when working with old wooden pallets. There often are some old nails left on them. This will keep you quite safe while working.
For better appearance of your upcycled wooden pallet garden you can also cover the wood in the front with fabric or just paint it.
You can even hang some pots or some old metal cans with plants to your wooden pallet garden.
If you leave your wooden pallet garden to stand vertical better put it horizontal while watering the plants. That way you will be sure that you have watered all the plants in it.
For visual instructions check out the video below on creating a beautiful upcycled pallet garden.